Saturday, April 9, 2011

Crochet Tawashi Scrubbies


They've been the online talk lately - beautiful crochet Tawashi Scrubbies. I believe the original purpose for them was to scrub pots but I make the for more of a personal use - to clean my face. To make sure only the fines touches my skin, I use 100% cotton yarn. They are just wonderful for all my soaps, washes, peels, and other beauty products.

The original pattern can be found on a Japanese website and my English translation of it is as follows:

Materials: worsted weight yarn in two different colors.
Hook: H-8 (5mm) - I do believe smaller hooks could be used as well

Using color 1: 
Ch19 - from now on you will be working ONLY in BACK loops.
Round 1: Sc in each ch. (18)
Round 2: Ch1, sc2tog, *sc in next sc. Repeat from * 15 times, 2sc in last sc. (18)
Using color 2:
Round 3: Ch1, 2sc in first sc, *sc in next sc. Repeat from * 15 times, sc2tog at the end of the row. (18)
Round 4: Ch1, sc2tog, *sc in next sc. Repeat from *15 times. 2sc in last sc. (18)
Round 5-20: Repeat rnds 3 and 4, alternating color at each odd row.

To finish off, either ss the last row with the first, or simply sew them together. Run a stitch on each side and pull it tight to close. Manipulate the Tawashi into shape with your fingers, if necessary. What a great project! Superb addition to any beauty or housewares gift basket!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, these would almost be to precious to immerse in soap or dishwater! Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your tuto.
    I made three tawashis with it : if you want to see them, i posted a photo on my own blog (and a link to yours).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these! Thank you so much for the pattern! I've made two already and plan to make many more. Great gifts. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't see if you turn your work at end of row

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been making these for washing up sponges for a few years now. I always come back to this page for reference. Thank you

    ReplyDelete